Monday, August 11, 2008

1 DOWN, 34 TO GO...

I finally started radiation today!!! It has been awhile since my surgery (more than originally was planned) and I have been pretty anxious to get things moving along. However, that wait has turned into a true blessing. It has been a “luxury” to be able to spend this time researching my options for treatment, allowing my decisions to sink in and also be able to enjoy some free time this summer. I have had to really figure out what is best for me in the long run. I am still unsure about the next phase after radiation, but I am at least set for the next 7 weeks. A little over a week ago, the process started with my body being “marked” with tattoos. Never did I think that my first tattoo would be of four dots to help guide the technicians in setting up for daily radiation to fight my breast cancer… at age 36 - (too old for a tattoo and too young for cancer in my opinion)!!! Besides a little anxiety, things went extremely well today. I had to get x-rayed again and met with the Radiologist, which I will do every Monday, but the radiation itself only lasts a couple of minutes. I am now just praying that the side effects will be minimal and that I will get a clear sense of what to do about taking Tamoxifen after the radiation treatment is over.

No comments: